Unfortunately Gboard has stopped: When it comes to full-screen phones that we’ve been using for almost a decade, we’re obviously dependent on the keyboard as there’s no physical one.
All Android phones come with a stock keyboard, but they’re not a jack of all trades if features are what you want. Thankfully, Android has options for literally every other application.
Gboard is considered to be the best third-party keyboard that is loaded with features that you may or may not use. But like everything else in the world, it has its problems.
The most common is ‘Unfortunately, Gboard has stopped working.’ Ahh! This is the worst and your smartphone switches to the stock keyboard.
Fix Unfortunately Gboard has Stopped
1. Clear the data and cache of the Gboard app
If none of the above works, and still the error message ‘Unfortunately Gboard has stopped’ is displayed, do this:-
- Go to – Settings
- Go to – Manage Apps
- Select the option (three little drops on the top right corner)
- Select – Show All Apps
- Scroll down and find Gboard
- Open – Gboard
- Select – Clear Data – Clear All Data.
2. Shut down the phone for about 2 minutes and restart
Shutting down the phone temporarily clears active processes that were interacting with the device’s processor. A large number of active apps can also cause some misbehaving apps and hanging issues.
If your phone was recently dropped in water, do not perform this shutdown procedure. If your phone is behaving poorly because a few drops of water got inside it, allow it to dry for a whole day in a plastic sealed bag with rice.
The rice absorbs all the moisture and makes the phone dry completely. Never try to start or restart the phone with moisture. This may cause a short circuit and you may lose your phone and data inside it.
3. Uninstall and Reinstall Gboard
- Go to your app drawer.
- Navigate to Gboard.
- Long press on the icon.
- Click on Uninstall.
- You will see a pop-up notification asking for your confirmation.
- Click OK.
- Launch Google Play Store.
- Type Gboard in the search box.
- Click on App. Select Install.
- Now set up Gboard with all your preferences.
4. Update the app in the Play Store
- To resolve bugs, developers often push updates to the Google Play Store.
- Open Google Play Store.
- Tap on the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines).
- Select My apps and games.
- If there’s an update for Gboard, you’ll see that in the list.
5. Force Stop
- In your app drawer, search for the Gboard app.
- Long press on it and select App info.
- Look for Force Stop and click on it
- This will prevent the app from running in the background for some time.
- After you force stop Gboard your phone can use the stock keyboard.
6. Reset your phone
I would have recommended Safe Mode but it is one less step than resetting your phone.
- Launch Settings.
- Look for Backup and reset.
- Scroll down and tap on Erase all data.
- You will see some warning text.
- Click on Reset phone. This should solve all the issues you are currently having with your phone.
7. Uninstall Updates
Uninstalling the update will revert the app to its previous build. It may help There are some bugs in the latest update.
- Go to Settings and select Apps.
- Find Gboard and click on it.
- You can also navigate on Gboard very easily from your app drawer.
- Tap on the three vertical dots.
- You will see Disable as a clickable option. Tap on it. Then you click on the OK button.
- Gboard will now revert to its previous build.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why has my Gboard stopped working?
The main problem that caused Gboard to stop working is a rogue bug. This too was addressed with a software update. Go to the Google Play Store and update the app if there is one.
Why does Gboard say that unfortunately has stopped?
The known issue with this is because there is some incompatibility between your phone’s stock keyboard and Gboard. This is a common problem that Google has solved with several updates. So, make sure you have updated Gboard to its latest version.
I hope you can fix Unfortunately Gboard has stopped working by following the above methods. Let us know what methods you used to solve this persistent problem.