Move Whatsapp to SD Card:- If you have been using WhatsApp for a long time, it can take up a lot of space.
Since you don’t want to delete some media files in your WhatsApp account to free up space then your best option would be to move WhatsApp to an SD card.
Move Whatsapp Media to SD Card Without Computer
You can alternatively move WhatsApp folders to an SD card without connecting the device to the computer. You will need to use a file explorer app on your device known as ES File Explorer to do this. Follow these simple steps to do it:
- Begin by installing the ES File Explorer app on your device. You can find it on Google Play Store.
- After the app is installed on your device, open this app and go to the option of “Internal Storage Files“.
- You should see all the files and folders that are stored in the internal storage of the device. Find “WhatsApp” and then click on it to open the files in the folder.
- Locate and cut the folder named “media” located in the WhatsApp folder.
- Now, go to the “SD” section and create a new folder which you can name “WhatsApp” and then paste the media files into the newly created folder.
How to Set SD Card as Default Storage for Whatsapp
The above solutions will help you to move the current WhatsApp media files to an SD card. Unless you have set this process to be automatic, you will have to move files every time data is stored in the WhatsApp folder. The best solution is to set the SD card as the default storage for your WhatsApp data.
To do this, you’ll need an app like XInternalSD. However, it is important to note that these apps will only work on rooted Android devices. Here’s how to do it:
- Download a secure copy of XInternalSD APK to your device. The app may not be available in the play store but you can find it on top developer websites.
- Install the app then open it. To change it to the external SD card, go to “Settings” and tap on the option “Path to the internal SD card”.
- Now go to the option “Enable for apps” and select “WhatsApp” from the list of apps that you want to save to your SD card.
All your WhatsApp data will be saved in your SD card by default once WhatsApp is enabled.
Move Whatsapp to SD Card on Computer
Now that you are able to choose an SD card that suits your needs, it is time to move WhatsApp media files to the new SD card. The easiest way to do this would be to use your computer. This method is simple and requires only your phone, SD card, and USB cable. Follow these simple steps to do it:
- Begin by connecting the device to the computer using a USB cable. Wait for the computer to detect the device. In some devices, you may need to enable USB debugging before the computer can detect the device.
- Locate the WhatsApp folder from the list of folders on the device’s internal storage by opening the Android device’s internal memory folder on your device. Copy the WhatsApp folder.
- If you paste the WhatsApp folder in your SD card folder, then in the same way all the data of your WhatsApp will go to the SD card.
Moving WhatsApp data to an SD card is beneficial when you want to free up your device’s internal storage for other types of data. Share your thoughts on this topic and another WhatsApp-related topic with us in the comment section below.